Please tell me what you would call this piece of furniture. Josh has been so insistent that it is a “chest of drawers” and not a “dresser” that I’ve finally given in, even though I think it sounds funny.
Anyway, this is by far Josh’s biggest woodworking project yet. He is a fan of Norm Abram and the New Yankee Workshop (he watches episodes on youtube) so he bought some plans from them. That is all I can tell you about the actual building of the dresser – my input only came in with the finishing.
He made it out of poplar because he wanted to use a hard wood but not spend a ton of money. Poplar does not take stain particularly well, and I didn’t want anything yellowish anyway (it’s for Kylie’s big girl room which is a lot of cool colors). But we really didn’t want to paint it and cover up the wood. Apparently poplar is supposed to be an ugly wood, but I think it looks cool.
I had read about paintwashing, so we experimented a little and though it would work. We could always paint over it if we didn’t like it. It turned out so much better than we expected and we love it!
Josh used a 2:1 water/paint ratio, but it still went on very opaque, so he also wiped it with a rag. He also had to lightly sand it again when the paint dried. This is what it looked like still wet.
My only contribution was painting the knobs. I decided to paint them normally for a little bit of contrast. Josh had this brilliant idea for painting them – set them on their screws with paper underneath.
When we experimented with polyurethane it turned pretty yellow. I had also read about polycrylic, so Josh used that in satin. He said it was easier to apply than polyurethane, and I like that it doesn’t feel too coated or thick.
We are officially fans of paintwashing, and hopefully this is a piece of furniture that we will use forever! Now I just need to get moving on all the things I’m supposed to be sewing for her room…